Judd Fine Homes has a new address!

Thursday, October 18, 2007

My Run Yesterday (09/15/07)

It's starting to turn to fall here in Colorado. In Salida, about an hour south of Leadville (for the geographically challenged), it's still warm during the day, but dipping to the 30's and 40's at night. I have been slowly ramping up, after running my first 50 miler at Lean Horse amonth ago. I'm thinking a bout one more race before winter. A 100 ,maybe a 24 hour?I don't know if my body will take the abuse. I must be ready for ski season soon. This is non-negotiable.

I pulled out a guide book of local trails and decided to try the Round Hill Loop, about 15 miles south of town, at the upper end of the San Luis Valley. Lots of big, wide open spaces, and awesome views of the Sangre De Cristo range, to the east. It's always so fun to go somewhere new, even if it's my own backyard. As a local, I sometimes become jaded to the beauty around us here. I see several peaks above 14,000 feet from my windows. But, I always remind myself, and especially my 3 year old daughter, how lucky we are to live here.

I drove about 30 minutes to the trailhead, a non-descript dirt road turning off the highway. I am immediately greeted by several cows near the cattle guard. They seem to be staring at the cattle guard.

"What is that thing on the ground?" "I don't know, but I'm not going near it. Let's stay right here and eat grass." "Okay."

I park just past the cows, and check the book for directions. Uphill 1 mile, then left. I begin walking. Almost every uphill in this part of the world is a walk. "Runnable uphills" is a rarity. The area is sage brush and grass. Good place to be a cow. Soon, I encounter the first turn. Go uphill along the fence. How nice. There is an aspen grove along the fence. The leaves are just starting to turn and I follow along the grove for a few minutes. As the miles go on, I realize that this place is absolutely riddled with jeep roads. Options crop up every 5 minutes. I know that every road will lead back toward the highway if I go east. And the mighty Sangre De Cristos are there to guide me if I need to, so I don't worry too much about getting lost. But, it is a challenge to follow the prescribed route from the book. Sometimes, I run with the book in hand, keeping up with turns that come every 100 yards, then another, then 2 lefts, then right.

When I top out, after a bout 1,000 feet of climb, I'm in the spruce/ pine forest, with an occasional aspen mixed in for scenic effect. The jeep roads are crazy and windy. They undulate, dive, climb. As I come around one corner, I see a vehicle. It has a sticker that indicates "bow hunter". It is hunting season, so I watch carefully. I don't do anything to act like a deer. After a few minutes, I round a corner to see a hunter very slowly walking up the road, dressed in camo from head to toe. Curiously, the camo looks very warm, but it is 70 degrees. I approach at a walk, trying to make noise, by stepping on leaves (like a bi-ped would). After I give a little throat-clearing, the hunter turns to see me. It is a middle-aged, heavy-set woman. "Hello" I say quietly. She is obviously in stalking mode, glancing around the woods. "I thought I was the only one out here", she replies. "Me too", I say, and off I go at a slow run.

Soon I approach a junction. Guide book says "sign for Silver Creek. You are not going there, turn right." But...Silver Creek? That's sweet single track! I turn left. I'll just go out a half mile, or so. Just a taste. All of this loop is on jeep roads. I need a little more fun. After a few minutes, I return to the junction, and head to the right, back on the Round Hill Loop.

It's all downhill now. About 4 miles down to the truck. Wahoo! The road rolls left and right, undulates, rolls gradually down. As I break out of the trees, I see fantastic views if the Sangres, dead ahead to the east, and an occasional peek of Mt. Ouray to the northwest. I see Ouray from my living room, and I always enjoy seeing a different side of it. It happens to be 13,970 feet, just shy of 14,000. In Colorado, the 14ers seem to get all the glory. But Ouray is large and awesome, and a force in it's own right. It produces its fair share of weather around here. And I secretly love the fact that the Fourteener Club doesn't know it, or want to "bag it".

Here, I must keep the book in hand, turn left, turn left, left again 1/2 mile. It's wide open and I see a 4 wheel ATV approaching. It's an older man, with 2 young kids, proabably 4 and 6 years old. I figure it's probably a grandfather and his grandkids. Maybe he's teaching them about hunting? I wonder. I'm not a hunter myself, but I figure it must be pretty cool to have your grandpa teach you something like that. I also hope that he teaches them respect for the land as well.

Left turn, then 1 mile back to the truck. Smooth and downhill. Take a pause here. Check out this amazing view one more time. Wow! I'm so lucky to be able to do this. Here. Now, during autumn. Holy cow, winter is around the corner. I LOVE winter. I would ski every day, if I could. It won't be long! ...Yeah.

Time to cruise downhill. I arrive back at the truck. 9 miles. Sweet! That was a good run. My knees hurt a bit. Have since the 50. Curiously, they didn't hurt during or after the race. The cows have gone. Were they terrified of the cattle guard? Was there just better grass somewhere? Who knows what cows think? Probably not all that much, I think.


Cheers,
Joe Judd

No comments: