Judd Fine Homes has a new address!

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Rocky Raccoon 50 Mile Race

My wife and I arrived Friday night to run the Rocky Raccoon 50 mile race, in Huntsville, Texas. We arrived at the start around 6:30 a.m., after an early wake up call at 5:00. We checked in and got our goodie bag, with a nice fleece sweatshirt and bib number. It was great to be around the race atmosphere again. Hundreds of runners were milling about. Some quiet, some chatting nervously about their first 50 miler. I was here to try for a decent time at the distance. My PR being a not-so-great 11:49 (basically my first 50, Aug. ‘07), I knew that I had plenty of room for improvement. My wife, Paige, was doing her first 50. Her main goal was to finish and avoid a recurring injury she’d been wrestling with for the last few months, while training for the event.

The weather looked to be perfect, with a high around 70, and a starting temp around 45. Coming from Colorado, it was exciting to have warm weather for running. Something we hadn’t experienced since October. I had run the Huff 50k, in Indiana, over the holidays. Other than that, most of my training was 6-8 miles at a time, with a couple of 12 milers. However, I had a lot of cross training, mostly skiing (telemark style) some great powder days! I knew that being over-trained was not an issue.

The course for the 50 milers is 3 loops. I started with my wife for the first mile or so. She was on a strict 5:1 program, so I went on ahead. I kept my pace pretty comfortable and still passed quite a few runners during the first loop. I was on a 10 -10:30 pace for most of the first half. This was a good clip for me. I didn’t feel too fatigued by it, so I kept it up, walking all of the uphills. It was fun to see the 100 milers coming at us at the Far Side. The 2.9 mile section got kind of crowded the first lap. With around 450 people on the course, it got a bit tight trying to pass and avoid the oncoming traffic. This may be my only complaint about the course layout. Certainly not a major issue, but it sometimes required a lot of concentration on footing and traffic, at the same time. I saw a few other Ultra listers on the course, and introduced myself. I came around to the final stretch toward the Lodge and crossed the mat at 2:55 for my first lap. At 10:47 / mile pace, I was very pleased. I had visions in my head of a sub-10 hour finish. Unfortunately, I had to take a 15 minute stop to change, futz around and tape my foot over a hot spot.

The second lap started well. I was maintaining my previous pace for the first couple miles. But, by the first aid station (20 miles in), it started. I always seem to get a rough patch around this time. It typically starts somewhere between miles 15-20. It seems to last for 4-5 miles. This time, it lasted for 10 miles. The rest of the second loop was just tough. I mentally went through the drill. My hydration was good,. My electrolytes were good. I was taking one S! Cap per hour, about normal. I wondered if the humidity was affecting my sweat rate. I took my next one after 45 minutes. I was still moving pretty well. But, it was requiring much more effort. I kept to my program of eating something at every aid station, with the grab-and-go technique. Bananas and PBJ’s were my food of choice, with some Oreos and animal crackers thrown in for good measure. Not only was I running through the woods all day, just like when I was a kid. I was also eating just like I was a kid.

By the time I got to the Site 174 aid station I was feeling pretty sore. Nothing in particular, just most things below the waist. They had some ibuprofen, so I took two. Within 10 minutes, I was feeling much better. I don’t know if it really took the edge off, or if it was a placebo effect. But, I didn’t care. I was running into the Lodge feeling good again. My second loop split was about 3:45, including the 15 minutes I lost at my drop bag, the first time around. I grabbed snacks, topped off my bladder and went straight out.

I did the math. I figured if my third loop was faster than the second, I might have a shot at going under 10 hours. Something I’d thought about, but considered to be my “fantasy finish time” for this race. I had done a three loop 50k, and had the same experience of a bad second loop, and a big resurgence on the third. So, I was going to push it a little. I wanted the finish first. But, sub-10 would be very sweet! My philosophy with running these races is also three goals, in order: One: no injuries. Two: finish the race. Three: set a good time for myself (totally relative). I’m just not willing to risk pushing too hard for a better time and pay for it for weeks to come, nursing an injury. An experience I’ve endured before.

Shortly after starting the lap, I ran with Ryan Valdez, who puts on the El Scorcho race in Texas. We both felt the same. Tired, but with some fuel still in the tank. We talked and prodded each other along for the next 10 miles, or so. At the Dam Road aid station, he pulled out before I did and I never saw him again until the finish line. He had more in the tank than I did, finishing 10 minutes ahead of me.

The 4.4 miles from Dam Road to Site 174 seemed really long each time around. I kept thinking it was almost done, but it just wouldn’t come. Then, every time I got past it, the last 2.9 miles to the Lodge flew by. I suppose it’s all mental games at work. As usual, it came slowly. I was watching the time. If I could get there in 11 minutes, then turn in 10 minute miles to the finish, I could get in under ten hours. Sadly, I got there in 24 minutes. I realized that there was no way for me to run 2.9 miles in 17 minutes. So, I rethought my goals a little. My PR at 50 miles was 11:49 (DFL, and pretty darn slow). If I got in under 10:19, I could break my PR by an hour and thirty minutes. That was damn respectable. So, I walked the ups, ran the downs, and mixed it up in the flats. As usual, the last section flew by. I saw the power line, and the final 200 yards to the finish. I cranked it up. I ran by Elvis, who was there all day. He and his group gave me a cheer. I said “Thank you, thank you very much”, in my best Elvis voice, which got a rise out of the group. I ran by the others, sitting under tents and clapping as I went by. For a few moments, I got a little emotional, as I have at other races. I love the fact that total strangers will cheer for everyone, no matter how fast or slow. I saw the line and I poured on whatever I had left. I looked at the clock. It said 10:18: 50-something. I heard the BEEP! I had crossed just a few seconds before 10:19. I had gotten my secondary goal. I didn’t really have a hard finish time in my head when I started. But, I certainly didn’t expect to break my PR by 90 minutes. It was awesome!

I waited for my wife to come in behind me. She had been 5 - 10 minutes behind me for most of the second and third laps. I really expected her to pass me the last few miles. She had been wrestling with an injury leading up to the race, and wasn’t sure if she could even run it. I was so happy when we passed each other and she would smile and give me a high five. She had to DNF at the Huff 50k, because of her injury. I was so psyched to see her going all the way. When I last saw her, at the Far Side, she said “ I feel great,. No pain, no soreness. Wait ‘til you see my sexy toes!” I knew that this meant she had blisters, or worse. But, mentally, she was in a great place. She crossed the line at 10:52, fantastic for her first 50 miler. After hugs and congratulations, we headed to the medical tent to review the blisters. She had two toes with big blisters under the toe nails. They were big, blood-filled and ugly. She has lost toe nails before. And had no problem with the fact that these two were going to go eventually, and probably the two big toes, as well. She ended the race by saying “ I’m definitely ready to do another one!” What a Rock Star!

After some great beans and rice and other goodies, we made our back to the motel for some well deserved rest, after a visit to the local IHOP. I always crave breakfast after a long race. As we were driving home from the airport after our flight to Denver (3 hours), it started snowing. I said “If my feet aren’t too swollen to get in my boots, I’m going up skiing for a couple of hours in the morning”. Lo and behold, the swelling was down. There was 6 inches of fresh powder, and I had a great morning of skiing. It only lasted 90 minutes before my legs said it was time to go. It seems like every race I do leads to a better and much faster recovery. My wife is also feeling generally good, and tending to her toes.

Overall, I loved this race. The course was good and well marked. The surface was easy on the body, although a bit hard to see the texture of the roots sometimes with all the pine needle coverage. I thought how easy it would be to miss a root in the dark, with just a headlamp or flashlight. The aid was great. And the volunteers were excellent. I’m always so amazed at how supportive the volunteers are at ultras. This race was no exception. Good people everywhere in this sport. I would highly recommend this race to anyone. Great for first timers, or for veterans looking for a fast PR. All these reasons add up to make this race grow more every year, and deservedly so.

1 comment:

Davy said...

Way to go Judd. Thanks for saying hi on Loop 1. Good to see you and glad to hear you finished well. It was great fun....er, well, the first 50 miles were.